Brushing can be a chore, especially for children. Here are a few ways to hit the two-minute-mark and make brushing fun for the whole family.
- New toothbrush: Everyone loves new toys. Let your child pick out a new, electronic toothbrush with a built-in timer. Electric toothbrushes are more efficient than manual toothbrushes, and remind us to brush for the required two minutes. A good choice is the Philips Sonicare for Kids. It allows children to customize the body with a sticker of their choice and it has a two-minute timer.
- Dance Party!: Pick your favorite song and jam out! Listening to music or humming while brushing passes the time quickly and sets a healthy time goal. Some great songs to listen to are “Can’t Stop the Feeling” by Justin Timberlake and “Happy” by Pharrell Williams.
- Reward calendar: Children enjoy challenges and rewards. Create a bathroom calendar for your child to check off each day after a perfect brushing routine. At the end of the month, reward them with an ice cream or movie; or pull from a list of prizes determined by the child.
- Download an app: Explore smartphone applications with built-in timers and fun videos. The most popular app is the Disney Magic Timer which includes an interactive timer and a brushing calendar so your child can see their progress.
- Brush Together: Children learn and grow through example. Make your morning and bedtime routines a group effort by brushing and flossing together.
For more brushing tips, call 775-359-3934 or visit champagnepediatricdentistry.com.